The Shakespeare Centre
The Shakespeare Centre was built in 1829 and was Kendal’s first purpose built theatre. It was designed by John Richardson, a local architect.
Both poverty in Kendal, and pressure from the Quakers, Prebyterians and Temperance groups, forced the theatre to close five years after opening. It continued in use as a ballroom, before being converted to the New Life Community Church in 1994.
This venue is very close to the Brewery Arts Centre. from the Brewery turn left in the hhigh street and walk approx. 150 metres. Turn left undeer the arch at The Shakesepare Inn, and you will see the theatre at the end of the yard.
The Shakespeare Centre Events
Dirtbag; The Legend of Fred Beckey
- »Abbot Hall Centre
- »Brewery Arts Centre - Malt Room
- »Brewery Arts Centre - Screen 1
- »Brewery Arts Centre - Screen 2
- »Brewery Arts Centre - Studio
- »Brewery Arts Centre Theatre
- »Brewery Playgroup - Brewery Arts Centre
- »Fell Bar Kendal
- »Festival Hostel at the Dojo
- »It’s a secret!
- »Kendal Leisure Centre
- »Kendal Library
- »Kendal Town Hall
- »Kendal United Reformed Church Hall
- »Movie Truck
- »The Factory
- »The New Union
- »The Shakespeare Centre
- »Warehouse Cafe - Brewery Arts Centre
- »Waterside Cafe Bistro
- »Wildman Street Gallery