Castle Green Hotel
This upscale country house hotel is set in an extended Victorian mansion in landscaped gardens and is 1.4 miles from Kendal train station and 9.7 miles from Lake Windermere.
Featuring bright, contemporary decor, the rooms offer en suite bathrooms, free WiFi and flat-screen TVs with satellite channels. Some upgraded rooms add balconies with garden views, 4-poster beds and sitting areas.
Modern British cuisine is served in the refined restaurant, and a pub-style eatery dishes up comfort food. There's also a fitness club with an indoor pool, 2 gyms and a steam room. Spa treatments are available (fee).
Castle Green Hotel opened in December 1997 but the building itself dates back to 1847, when Thompson Bindloss, a Kendal Ironmonger bought the site for £3450. He built the house which today forms the Business and Training Centre and the executive bedrooms. He left the house to his nephew, William Bindloss, who was Kendal’s Mayor six times. When William died, he donated the house to the Borough of Kendal in his will in 1895. The house was sold and the proceeds were used to extend the Town Hall and to build the clock tower, which is a feature of Kendal today.
Between 1949 and 1995 the house was owned the Electricity Board as their area offices and around 300 local people worked in the building. James and Catherine Alexander, previously owners of the Grange Hotel in Grange-over-Sands, bought the property in 1995 and had the vision to convert and extend it into a perfect hotel for Kendal. James and Catherine are the sole shareholders of the Castle Green Hotel and are proud that once again more than one hundred people are employed here.