International Film Competition
At the heart of our Festival is the international film competition, which awards 11 film prizes through an independent jury.
The Winners 2015
- Best Climbing Film: Operation Moffat
- Best Mountaineering Film: Tom
- Best Adventure & Exploration Film: The Adventures of Dodo
- Best Environment & Culture Film: Tashi and the Monk
- Best Adrenaline Film: High and Mighty
- Best Short Film: Denali
- Best Sound: Freefall
- Best Visual: Eclipse
- Grand Prize: K2 Touching the Sky
- Judges' Special Prize: The Rider and the Wolf
- People's Choice: Operation Moffat
For 2015 our Film Jury included Steve Robinson, Wahajat Malik, Amanda Lu, Hazel Findlay, Ella Kirkpatrick and is chaired by Keme Nzerem.
The film competition sees over 200 films submitted each year, which was shortlisted to around 78 with inclusion decided on merit and quality. Films are screened in 10 venues across Kendal with last year’s totalling 422 screenings over 73 film sessions.
We attract many film premières (World, European or national) every year - the Festival is acknowledged by filmmakers as the foremost opportunity to showcase their latest films and many plan their production schedule for the year around the event.